2013 was a transitional year. The final stretch of undergrad had me juggling a full course load, an internship, a part-time job, and a social life I refused to give up. April was the roughest month having to close the student chapter of my life, scrambling to find a job, moving to the city with not much of a financial safety net, and proceeding to endure 3 months of anxiety and negative feelings of self-worth while trying find my purpose in life and a job to pay the bills.
It was also a pretty wild year for achievements and adventures.
- I received my Bachelor of Environmental Studies.
- I eventually got a full-time job.
- I accomplished a lot of firsts, including running and re-branding a media publication, teaching a workshop and recording a podcast.
- I cut my hair on a whim and donated 13 inches to a local charity.
- I met a lot of really amazing people that I can’t wait to collaborate with on projects in the new year.
I would write about how I fared with my resolutions for 2013 but to be honest I can’t remember what they were… so this year I’m laying out my resolutions a little differently so I actually stick to them. I wrote down five, and included 5-10 measurable action items I can check off for each.
- Launch a new environmental project or business idea that aligns with my career objectives
- Improve my technical literacy skills in programming and database management
- Be more creative
- Live simply, spend less on ‘stuff’ and put more money into savings
- Wake up an hour earlier each weekday to work on personal projects (and WRITE MORE BLOG POSTS)
What are your goals/resolutions for 2013? Any awesome ideas you’re turning into reality this year?
Right now I am working on a few cool things, including a social event for environmentally-minded millennials in Toronto – keep an eye out for #GreenPeopleTO over the next few weeks. My SO and I are also starting a food blog which is pending a suitable name and vision.
Later this week I’ll publish a piece on sustainability trends for 2014.
Thanks for reading and I hope your new year is off to a good start!